Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Greatest Ever Sports Cars

The other day I was watching Discovery channel and they had a show on air about the best ever sports cars. The top ten, according to them are:

10. Lamborghini Countach
9. Nissan Skyline
8. Corvette Sting Ray
7. Aston Martin DB5
6. Mercedes Benz 300SL 'Gull-Wing'
5. Ferrari Enzo
4. Jaguar E-type
3. McLaren F1
2. Mazda Miata
1. Porsche 911

Except for the fact that a rating like this is rather difficult to arrive at and this might actually have missed some classics like the Ferrari GTO, I more or less agree with it.

However, I do not have a very high opinion of the Mazda Miata. It does not really have the kind of power and accelaration that some of the other cars on the list have.

I am not a huge fan of the Corvette Sting Ray either. Somehow, the design does not appeal too much to me.

If I had the money, I would love to buy the rest of the eight cars, although I might consider buying the Aston Martin V12 Vanquish, instead of the DB5.

In particular, I would love to acquire a specimen each of all the versions of the Porsche 911, released so far, over more than 40 years of the car's history. It had an unbroken run as 'European Sports Car of the Year' for 30 long years (I am unable to provide the details at the moment, but will try to do so as soon as I can.), until the Audi TT came along and dislodged it from that position.

I know that I'll probably never have enough money to purchase any of these cars, at any point of time in my life, but then this is the kind of stuff that dreams are made of!

1 comment:

Sidhusaaheb said...

So back from nepal … hoping to read some travel dtories of Nepal as well
Asma | Homepage | 08.17.06 – 10:44 am | #

 
www.HyperSmash.com